How can shigellosis be prevented?
Please keep the following guidance in mind:
- Thorough, frequent handwashing with soap and water, or if this is not available, hand sanitizer. Wash hands after using the bathroom, after changing diapers, and before preparing food or drinks or eating.
- Help toddlers and small children wash their hands properly.
- Keep children with diarrhea out of child care settings.
- Do not prepare food for others or participate in recreational water activities (like swimming) if you have diarrhea.
- Avoid unprotected direct oral-anal contact and wash hands, areas of the body, or objects that may have had contact with fecal material.
- Thoroughly wash fruit and vegetables that will be eaten raw.
- If traveling to developing countries, drink only boiled or treated water and eat only cooked hot foods or fruits and vegetables that you peel yourself after thorough washing with treated/boiled water.