Staying Safe While Pregnant
These tips for pregnant women provide precautions to take during pregnancy to increase the chances of having a healthy baby, such as foods to avoid and ways to prevent infection.
Pregnant? Steps for a Healthy Baby
Learn how you can help prevent miscarriage, birth defects, and illness and have a healthy baby.
Around your seventh month of pregnancy, talk to your medical provider about counting your baby’s kicks as a way of checking on its health. Check with your health care provider about using the following instructions on how to do kick counts.
- Kick Counts and Chart English | Spanish | Farsi | Arabic
- Kick Counts, Baby Steps Chinese | Vietnamese
- Immunizations for a Healthy Pregnancy: English | Spanish | Chinese
Get up-to-date information on the shots you need to keep you and your baby healthy.
- The California State Department of Public Health offers patients and providers information about immunizations – before, during and after pregnancy
Denti-Cal dentists can provide pregnant patients with Medi-Cal: dental exams; cleanings; gum treatments; emergency dental services for the relief of pain, infection or trauma such as tooth removal.
Dentists currently accepting pregnant patients with Medi-Cal in Alameda County (April 2017)
- Berkeley, Alameda
- Hayward, San Leandro San Lorenzo
- Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore
- Union City
HIV Testing During Pregnancy
An HIV test is now a part of routine prenatal care. Learn about HIV transmission, the reasons to be tested during pregnancy and how to protect yourself from HIV.
- Perinatal HIV Hotline
If you know that you are HIV positive, call to find a specialist or get specialized medical care right away to avoid transmission to your baby.
- WORLD (Women Organized to Respond to Life-Threatening Disease)
Receive social support and other resources from other HIV- positive mothers.