Our Mission and Vision
We envision that all people live in safe, connected neighborhoods that offer fresh, affordable foods, are choosing active healthy lifestyles and are engaged in their communities.
Alameda County Nutrition Services is dedicated to advancing health and racial equity within our communities. Guides by our commitment to inclusivity, belong, and justice, we closely collaborate with like-minded partners towards the vision that Alameda County thrives.
We work to promote and champion healthy eating and physical activity practices for a vibrant and healthy life. As a Community Health Services program, we embrace our responsibility to address systemic barriers that have historically impacted marginalized, Alameda County communities.
To see our vision for a healthy Alameda County, to prevent chronic disease, we actively engage with residents and community organizations through:
- Promotion at Community Events and Health Fairs: We actively participate in health fairs and community events to provide accessible resources and information that empower individuals to make informed choices about their health and well-being.
- Engaging Through Demonstrations: Through cooking and physical activity demonstrations, we engage with community with practical skills and knowledge, to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- Education Across the Ages: Recognizing that education is a catalyst for change, we offer age-appropriate nutrition education and cooking classes that inspire lifelong habits of wellness.
- Safe Routes and Active Transportation: We work to establish safe routes to healthy places so community from youth to our elders engage safely in physical activity within neighborhoods throughout the county.
- Nutrition Education in Healthy Retail Stores: By providing nutrition education in neighborhood stores, we contribute to informed purchasing decisions that support individual and community health and partner with store owners to create an environment promoting fruits and vegetables and healthy beverages.
- Cultivating Gardens: Through the cultivation of community gardens with fruits and vegetables, we enhance access to fresh, nourishing produce, fostering a deeper connection to the land and food that is grown.
- Lifting Up Policies: We are dedicated to creating and implementing sustainable, environmentally conscious, healthy food, physical activity, and healthy beverage standards, as well as wellness policies, that lay the foundation for equitable health outcomes.