Novel Corona Virus 2019 – Wuhan Pneumonia Outbreak
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a health update on January 17, 2020 about the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov). This CDC HAN Update provides a situational update and guidance that supersedes the January 8, 2020 HAN. It adds guidance for evaluation of patients under investigation (PUI) for 2019-nCoV, prevention and infection control guidance, including the addition of a recommendation for eye protection, and additional information on specimen collection and testing.
The first confirmed case of 2019-nCoV in the United States is a healthy male in his 30s in Washington State, who arrived at Seattle-Tacoma Airport on January 15, 2020 after traveling to Wuhan.
Local suspect cases should be reported immediately by phone to Public Health. Resources for providers, including travel alert posters and a checklist for clinicians managing patients who may have 2019-nCoV, are available online from the CDC.
Alameda County Acute Communicable Disease Control:
- Weekdays 8:30am–5pm Phone: (510) 267-3250
- After hours Phone: (925) 422-7595 and ask for the public health duty officer on call.
Berkeley Public Health Division:
- Weekdays 8am-5pm Phone: (510) 981-5292
- After hours: Phone: (510) 981-5911 and ask for the Health Officer on call.
For more information, please see the full CDC Heatlh Update and Alameda County Guidance Checklist:
- Full CDC Health Update (1/17/20)
- Alameda County Guidance Checklist (1/22/20)
- CDPH All Facilities Update and Interim Guidance (1/23/20)