The Diabetes Program provides self-management classes to adults diagnosed with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes. The diabetes team provides education classes, support groups, and develops a treatment plan to assist you in controlling your diabetes. See our community success stories of how our Diabetes Program helps people live better with Type 2 diabetes.
Education Classes and Support Groups
The Diabetes Class is an 8-week course. Individuals who meet the eligibility requirements meet once a week for 2 hours. Topics discussed are the following:
- What is Diabetes? And Monitoring Blood Glucose
- Eating Healthier - Focus on Carbohydrates
- Eating Healthier - Focus on Heart Health, Fat, and Fiber
- Physical Activity
- Taking Medications
- Reducing Risks of Complications
- Coping with Stress and Emotions
- Behavior Change, Problem Solving, and Resources
Diabetes Classes Information Flyer (PDF): English | Spanish
The Diabetes Support Group meet once a month for two (2) hours. Topics vary. Virtual classes are being held during COVID-19.
The Hypertension Class is a 4-week course. Individuals meet once a week for 2 hours. Topics discussed are the following:
- What is Hypertension?
- Physical Activity
- Lifestyle Modification
- Heart Attack
To learn more about our education classes and support groups are located, please call our Diabetes Program: 510-383-5185.
- Adults (18 years and older)
What is Diabetes?
Type 2 diabetes results from your body not producing enough insulin or your body not using the insulin properly. Type 2 diabetes develops in adults and more recently has been found in children. You may have diabetes and not know it, as often there are no symptoms.
The Program’s Goals are to:
- prevent medical problems related to diabetes.
- improve your understanding of type 2 diabetes.
- improve your ability to control your diabetes.
Medical providers can refer their patient that meets all the eligibility requirements. Please complete the following referral form and fax it to the Diabetes Program at (510) 383-5183. For more information, go to our Eligibility page.
- Diabetes Referral Form
- Hypertension Referral Form (PDF): English | Spanish