Clinical Education and Resources
Like any area of healthcare, the body of knowledge regarding breastfeeding, breastmilk and ways to care for patients are evolving with continued study.
Learn more about the core competencies necessary to provide effective comprehensive services to mothers, children, and families.
Looking for top quality clinical breastfeeding education:
- United States Breastfeeding Committee Lactation Support Provider Training Directory
- AAP Breastfeeding Residency Curriculum
Professional medical associations such as the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM) offer tools and guidelines for quality care:
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Protocols
(Jaundice, hypoglycemia, supplementation, mastitis, and more)
- Breastfeeding Promotion in the Prenatal Care Setting (Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Protocol #19)
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG): Optimizing Support for Breastfeeding as Part of Obstetric Practice. 2018
- AAP Policy on Breastfeeding and other resources
- ACOG Breastfeeding Toolkit
- Growth Standards (WHO and CDC)
- American Academy of Family Physicians - Breastfeeding Codes
- AAP: The Primary Care Pediatrican's Guide to Coding
- ICD-10 Coding for Breastfeeding
- Women's Preventive Services Initiative (WPSI) 2020 Coding Guide
CDPH WIC Breastfeeding Pocket Guide for Health Care Providers
Looking for ways to improve breastfeeding in your practice?
Your WIC Regional Breastfeeding Liaison is a resource for clinical trainings, staff in-services, breastfeeding quality improvement planning, billing and referral systems support, and much more.
Jeanne Kettles, MA, IBCLC
WIC Regional Breastfeeding Liaison